What is Habitat for Humanity?
- A nonprofit, Christian housing ministry that believes that every man, woman and child should have a decent, safe and affordable place to live.
- Affiliate chapters such as Adams County Habitat for Humanity build and repair houses all over the world using volunteer labor and donations.
- Our partner families purchase these houses through no-profit, no-interest mortgage loans or innovative financing methods.
How does it work?
- Through volunteer labor and donations.
- Homeowners invest hundreds of hours of their own labor into building their Habitat house and the houses of others.
- Habitat houses are sold to partner families at no profit and financed with affordable loans.
- The homeowners’ monthly mortgage payments are used to build still more Habitat houses.
Is Habitat for Humanity a “handout?”
- We like to describe the organization’s work as providing a “hand up” and not a “handout.”
- We do not give away houses.
- Habitat is about providing an opportunity for families who need a helping hand. The opportunity to obtain a house with a no-interest loan is an amazing opportunity.
- Other organization, such as USDA’s loan programs, fulfill different needs for families. Habitat strives to reach hard-working, low to moderate income families who might not qualify for conventional programs.
- By applying and becoming successful Habitat homeowners, families build a foundation of good credit and establish ties within Adams County communities.